Who We Are
We are the Society of Christian Scholars, a non-profit organisation focused on equipping, influencing and renewing global higher education through daily interactions with missional academics.
The Society of Christian Scholars is committed to respecting the privacy of our website visitors, members, donors, employees, volunteers and partners. We will not sell information to any third party and will only share data with third parties when absolutely necessary to help with operations of our mission, but not at the expense of anyone’s privacy.
What Personal Data We Collect and Why We Collect It
- Contact Information including person’s or organisation’s name, country, and email address
- This data is collected to provide you with information about the Society of Christian Scholars and/or the services you request.
- Profile Information including person’s discipline category, discipline, and research interests
- This data is collected to help other members network with you.
- Payment information
- This data is collected to complete the transactions you make on our website.
- Questions or comments you share with us
- This information is collected to help us understand your needs and provide you with a better service.
- Your IP address
- This information is collected via our analytic tools to better help us serve various regions where we have members.
- Analytics Data
- This information is used to track what information is most important to you and to get a better understanding of our users’ interests.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help in detecting spam.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
When you visit this website, the Society of Christian Scholars implements cookies for analytic purposes and some popups. We use anonymous cookies to prevent users from seeing the same popup repetitively in an attempt to make our users’ experience more pleasant while still delivering time-sensitive messaging. The analytics help the Society of Christian Scholars to understand who our website is reaching and to help us understand what content is most important to our website visitors. The language cookie allows the site to remember what language you picked on our site so content will be displayed in your language.
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies, but at any time you may set up your browser to notify you when your browser receives a cookie and whether you wish to accept it.
The Society of Christian Scholars uses Google Analytics as our analytics package to analyse data from users who visit our site. We use this data to understand who our website is reaching and to help us understand what content is important to our website visitors and how to better serve you.
If you ever wish to opt out of making your site activity available to Google Analytics, you can opt out by using Google’s opt-out browser add-on. You can find a link to it at this Google Support Page:
Embedded Content from Other Sites
Where we send and store your data
- Google Analytics – when you access our website, some data is sent to Google Analytics, for a further explanation, please view the Analytics section.
- Google Drive – we store some data here for manual transition into other tools listed here or for ease of use when creating communications to notify or thank you.
- PayPal or Authorize.Net – to complete a transaction your data will be sent to one of our payment processors.
- IMH Server – any information you fill out on a form that is not transactional is stored on our server hosted by InMotion Hosting.
- Dropbox – we store your email and registration type here so it can be easily accessed by our team members who handle your information
- Backblaze – this is a cloud backup tool to prevent data loss.
- Salesforce – when you register as a member of our website, data you entered upon registration is stored in Salesforce so we may keep a definitive list of our users.
- Zapier – an integration tool we use to pass data automatically from one service to another. Data is not stored here, only passed through.
- Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
How long we retain your data
The length of time we retain your data depends on what type of data it is. Contact information needed and transaction data except credit card and bank information is kept for at least 7 years per US IRS regulations for audit and tax purposes. Contact information needed to send you newsletters and updates about our organisation are kept indefinitely, until you notify us that you no longer wish to receive newsletters or updates. Information related to your user profile is kept indefinitely, until you notify us that you wish for your account to be deleted.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
How We Protect Your Data
The Society of Christian Scholars takes proactive and ongoing steps to protect your data. The Society of Christian Scholars encrypts your data in transit and uses several security rules to prevent the access of your personally identifiable information (PII) on our web server. The Society of Christian Scholars cannot enforce security standards with third parties, but we do our best to secure your data by understanding the security features used by these third parties and by utilising reputable third parties.
The Society of Christian Scholars office staff also go through Security Awareness Training to stay on top of current security concerns and to learn how to better protect your data.