Eleven Christian scholars from 6 countries met in July 2010 to explore how better to serve colleagues around the world. This meeting was a turning point in a conversation that had been unfolding for years. For over a decade, academicians had often talked with Global Scholars—who since 1986 served as a sending agency for missional Christian academics seeking to serve the Kingdom in universities worldwide (called the Fellows Program)—about partnering together to form a local and global community of Christian academics to serve the burgeoning movement of Christian scholars already forming around the world.
What excitement that July meeting generated! Groups of dedicated scholars in Francophone African (Comité Impact), China, Europe, and individual scholars in various locations worldwide began participating in developing this initiative. A planning team of 25 scholars from 15 countries formed from these groups and spent over three years helping to develop the Society. Out of this planning team grew the first Society of Christian Scholars Executive Committee (see below) and the Governing Policies of the Society of Christian Scholars.
Statement of Faith
The World Evangelical Alliance Statement of Faith serves as the Society’s official doctrinal statement:
…in the Holy Scriptures as originally given by God, divinely inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy; and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
… in one God, eternally existent in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
… in our Lord Jesus Christ, God manifest in the flesh, His virgin birth, His sinless human life, His divine miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial work, and His Personal return in power and glory.
… in the Salvation of lost and sinful persons through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ by faith apart from works, and regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
… in the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the believer is enabled to live a holy life, to witness and work for the Lord Jesus Christ.
… in the Unity of the Spirit of all true believers, the Church, the Body of Christ.
… in the Resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
The Society of Christian Scholars is governed by an Executive Committee made up of seven members representing at least five of the following regions of the world: the Caribbean, English/Portuguese-speaking Africa, East Asia, Eurasia, Europe, Francophone Africa, Latin America, Middle East/North Africa, North America, South Asia, and South Pacific.
Joel Huegel, Ph.D.
- (Mechanical Engineering, Rice University; MSME from University of Washington)
- Tenured Professor/Researcher at Tecnológico de Monterrey in Mexico and Visiting Researcher at MIT Media Lab
- Originally from Mexico
Li Ma, Ph.D.
- (Sociology, Cornell University)
- Senior Research Fellow at the Henry Institute for the Study of Christianity and Politics at Calvin College
Ahmed Dooguy KORA, Ph.D.
- (Telecommunications, Université de Limoges)
- Associate Professor of Telecommunications at École Supérieure Multinationale de Télécommunications; Committee Chairman for “Engaging the University”, IFES Francophone Africa
Martine Audéoud, Ph.D.
- (Social Sciences, Bernelli University)
- Academic Dean at Bakke Graduate University
Osam Edim Temple, Ph.D.
- (Philosophy, University of Ibadan)
- Professor of Philosophy at the American University of Nigeria and Special Advisor to the Honourable Minister of Niger Delta Affairs
Živilė Sederevičiūtė-Pačiauskienė, Ph.D.
- (Biomedical Sciences, Institute of Ecology and Lithuania University of Educational Sciences)
- Dean of the Faculty of Creative Industries and Associate Professor at Vilnius Gediminas Technical University
D. Keith Campbell, Ph.D.
- (New Testament, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary)
- Global Partnerships Vice President, Global Scholars
- United States
|Full Members: $15-175 USD annually*||Associate Members: $10-140 USD annually*||Student Members: $20 USD annually||Friends of the Society: $30 USD annually|
|Seminars and Conferences||✔||✔|
|Resource Library||✔ (access and post)||✔ (access and post)||✔ (access only)||✔ (access only)|
|Curricula||✔ (access and post)||✔ (access and post)||✔ (access only)||✔ (access only)|
|Online Discussions||✔(access and post)||✔ (access and post)||✔ (access only)||✔ (access only)|
*Based on annual salary–click here for details.
Full and Associate Members
Current or retired academic staff of a tertiary institution and others influencing higher education in similar ways (such as serving in an academic “think tank”, as a researcher in private industry, etc.)
Anyone pursuing an academic degree but not yet in an academic post. Graduate students also serving in teaching or research positions may join as Associate or Full Members.
Friends of the Society
Anyone supporting or encouraging missional Christian scholars (pastors, campus ministers, etc.)
Your annual membership fee helps to provide scholarships and other benefits for Society members.
|Personal Annual Income||Full Member’s Fee||Associate Member’s Fee||Student Member’s Fee||Friend of the Society Member’s Fee|
|Over $100,000 USD||$175 USD||$140 USD||$20 USD||$30 USD|
|$60,000-$100,000 USD||$95 USD||$50 USD||$20 USD||$30 USD|
|$20,000-$60,000 USD||$55 USD||$30 USD||$20 USD||$30 USD|
|Less than $20,000 USD||$15 USD||$10 USD||$20 USD||$30 USD|
* Membership is renewed annually on July 1, beginning in 2020.